- Our actions»
- By theme»
- Historical heritage guide»
- European projects»
- Become a member»
The City of Tavira spreads on 611km2. Around 80% of the city is built in the mountain. On the ocean side, Tavira is surrounded by 18km of fine sand.
Half way away from the airport of Faro and the border with Spain, Tavira offers a privileged geographic situation being the main centre of Sotavento of Algrave.
The community is divided into 9 parishes, Santa Luzia, Santo Estêvão, Santa Maria, Santiago, Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo, Conceição, Cabanas, Cachopo and Luz de Tavira.
The mountain undulated, or abrupt, is covered with a dense vegetation and forest. The littoral zone is completely integrated in the Natural reserve of Ria Formosa.
The existence of Roman castles and megalithic monuments makes it possible to locate at the Neolithic era (4000 to 1500 before Christ) the human presence in the commune of Tavira.
Heiress of old civilizations, Tavira, was a Phoenician colony, occupied by Romans and an important city during the period of Moslem occupation.
In 1242, the knights of Santiago, ordered by D. Paio Correia Fathers, conquered the city for the Portuguese crown. Tavira received various royal visits and, in 1520, reached the rank of ‘city’.
Tavira has a very rich historical heritage, which goes from archaeological testimonies to religious heritage, passing by palaces and lord houses, as well as the witnesses of the industrial archeology. The tour of the historical center leads the visitor to scenarios of rare beauty. Six monasteries and 23 churches translate the strong cultural tradition of the community.
Tavira is a ground of islands and long sandy beaches. Beaches are equipped with excellent hotel units. It is for that reason that Tavira is an invitation to discovery.