- Our actions»
- By theme»
- Historical heritage guide»
- European projects»
- Become a member»
Situated at a hundred kilometers to the East of Lisbon, Evora is a very old citadel city which dominates the neighborhoods.
Capital of the region of Alentejo, Evora is a place full of history which shelters in its centre the very well preserved vestiges of XV and XVI century. It is the most eloquent testimony of the Portuguese cities of the golden age.
Founded at the beginning of the Christian era, Evora presents a pretty architectural palette due to its various occupants: Romans, Visigoths, Moslems and Christians.
Since its origins, the city is an important crossroads. Radiant from the heights of the city, the main lines high ways cross three successive enclosures, respectively built at the time of the Roman, medieval time and of Vauban.
All this constitutes the skeleton of Evora.
The typical districts of the city, bordered with gardens, are composed of low houses, bleached with lime, tiled roofs or in terraces. For the majority, they are decorated of azulejos (decorated earthenware squares) and of old wrought iron balconies.
Large architectural masterpieces date primarily from XVI century, such as the ancient aqueduct of 1537 or the many fountains which refresh the city. Evora is a city whose architecture makes it possible to understand the Portuguese colonial influence on the urban realization of Brazil. It is for this reason that it was classified on the list of the world heritage by UNESCO, in 1986.
The undulating area of Alentejo, in the South of Portugal, allows a mosaic of landscapes’ view. Oak groves, olive groves, vines and fruit trees make the Mediterranean vegetation of Alentejo, with a dry and hot climate. The various villages emerge, at the turning of a small valley, plugging in their whiteness. A stopover in the regional capital is essential, whatever you do; just wandering in the cities narrow streets or benefiting from the point of views the city offers.