Bábolna, Hungary

Bábolna is located halfway between Vienna and Budapest, four kilometers south of the M1 motorway. Its territory is about 34 square kilometers for 4000 inhabitants.

In 1789, the emperor József II bought it to create a new State Stud Institute, which then secured the horse reserves for the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Since then, horse breeding has become a tradition in Bábolna: the home of the Shagya Arabian purebred has achieved a great reputation in Europe.
The Stud Farm was established at the Szapáry Castle which was built in the early 18th century. Szapáry Castle is still home to the National Stud of Bábolna and the Szapáry Castle and its surroundings, the historic city center and the famous Shagya Horse Race are national heritages protected by Hungarian laws. Szapáry Castle and the historic city center were the focal points for the development and expansion of the city. Residential and commercial areas harmoniously surround the historic center. At present, history and modern life offer a symbiosis that allows a high level of public services such as culture, education, health care and sport. Recognized for its rapid development, Bábolna received the rank of city in 2003.

Nowadays, Bábolna is one of the most important centers of Hungarian agriculture, plays a significant role in the economy of the county of Komárom-Esztergom and ensures a high standard of living for the local citizens.